Whether you’re a Democrat or a Republican, if you’re a child of God you know that the chaos we are experiencing in our world is the assault of the enemy.
FACT 1: “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12 NIV
Although we tend to try to fight these spiritual battles in the flesh (i.e. Facebook posts, Instagram, Twitter, etc.), the only real victory will come through using our spiritual weapons.
The good news is this: We have been given the armor and weapons we need to fight the fight. Don’t give up in exasperation.
FACT 2: “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,” Ephesians 6:13
This is the time to think about and meditate on the full armor of God, what it means, and make sure we are wearing it every day.
FACT 3: “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.“ Ephesians 6:14-17
Let’s Break It Down:
- Belt of Truth: God’s Word is truth. Victory in spiritual warfare starts with truth. His Word is Truth and that’s where we’ll find answers.
- Breastplate of Righteousness: Our righteousness comes from Christ and it protects our heart. May God create a tender heart in all of us.
- Feet fitted with the Readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace: We cannot fight with arguments or violence. Our readiness to fight spiritual battles comes through the Gospel of Peace.
- The Shield of Faith: The soldier’s leather-covered shield was sometimes soaked in water to extinguish flaming arrows. Likewise, our faith in God’s Word destroys the schemes of Satan.
- The Helmet of Salvation: The Helmet protected the soldier’s head. Since the primary battlefield in spiritual warfare is the Christian’s mind, the helmet of salvation protects us against the lies Satan uses to attack our minds.
- The Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: This is our one offensive weapon. Interestingly, the Greek word translated “word” here is rhema. It refers to a particular saying of God that has special application for a given situation, whereas logos, also translated “word” in other texts, refers to the Bible as a whole. Jesus fought the devil saying, “It is written …” See Matthew 4: 1-11 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+4%3A1-11&version=NIV
“The Bible as a whole is an armory from which to select swords for specific battles. Jesus illustrated the use of the “rhema of God” in his victory over Satan in the wilderness.”David Jeremiah Study Bible Notes (p. 1645)
The command: “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.” Ephesians 6:18
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives ,,,” 1 Timothy 2:1-2
We must pray for our country, our leaders, and our neighbors with confidence and boldness. It is the Lord’s command to pray for and love our neighbor. It’s what He wants us to do in response to current events. We must be obedient. We must banish thoughts that it “won’t do any good anyway.” That’s the lie of the devil. Put on your “helmet”!
“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
Army of the Lord, We know what we’re up against (spiritual forces of evil) and we know what to do about it (pray). Do it now!
This Is My Journey Unscripted.
Do you want to become a Christian? Click this link to learn more: Who Is Jesus?
All Scripture references are from NIV.